Overnight train
I like to take things slow, and to adjust to new ideas. It takes me a while to come around to things. When I love things, I love them fully, I just need some time to first reason it. I have found that train rides will not only get me to a destination, but will help me to work through my fears and count my blessings. Something about the long distance, time, and forward motion that allow me to think as I do when I am running.
On the way to my new home I was scared—scared of the city, and of being alone. But everything about my public-transportation experiences this week have proved to me that I can handle becoming a city girl. First of all, the train isn’t so bad. I successfully learned how to pee while squatting on a toilet seat—and this is not an easy task. It involves precariously perching 2 feet off the ground while the compartment shakes. And I couldn’t avoid the bathroom because of all the tea you drink on trains. This is probably my favorite part. Strangers ask if you want tea, and then whip out a whole spread—cakes, and nuts, and lemon, candies… it’s amazing. And they share it with you because they are generous and hospitable—what I have learned the Kazakhstani way uniquely is. Even though my conversational skills have been exhausted, we sit and drink chai and they offer all that they have. And their phone numbers and addresses, just in case I get to visit their towns. I don’t know what I will say if I do, but I will call her. Because I have found I like the train, I can visit my friends all over the country with pleasure! It is calm, and relaxing, and a great place to meet people (so far…).
Second, I successfully navigated myself into the city center from my neighborhood. I took the bus, and met an English teacher, who was eager to chat and took my number. I went to a German club that night, and the teacher helped me home. Again, the hospitality kicked in and she invited me to her home for dinner and it was delicious! On my next trip alone, I asked fellow passengers to tell me when I was at the right spot, and a woman told me she needed the same spot. Instead of just shoving me off the train, she walked me all the way to my apartment. The people are just kind.
Third, as I was waiting for a car to pick me up, a 15 year old boy entered the building. 5 minutes later, he called out his window (while clearly on the phone with a translator) to ask if I needed help.
I can get myself around in the city… who knows, maybe I will be a city girl. Plus, even when I can’t and need help, I will be able to meet people.
Monday, October 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh friend-mate, I love hearing your thoughts on trains. I agree 100%; it's nice to think quiet, deep thoughts on a train, because both your your mind and body travel towards a destination in a scenic, leisurely fashion.
And sharing chai and snacks with new friends doesn't hurt either, I imagine.
i love trains.
but i love you more :o)
Post a Comment