The Dogs of Kazakhstan hate me. Well, it’s more of a love hate relationship. They bite me, but it doesn’t hurt, or break the skin. They steal my shoe, but they return it.
The first incident happened a couple weeks ago. It was probably a good warning for me. The little guy that bit me wasn’t fierce or rabid enough to bite through my jeans, or brave enough to follow me. I was lucky that I have perfect heart health (no heart attack), and that I had just recently visited the squatter (no embarrassing pant-wetting). Now I cross the street to avoid even the friendliest looking dogs. Puppies are another story.
The second happened this week. I came home from a long day of class actually hungry (probably the first time I felt that in Kaz). I sat down for dinner and Chai with my family right away. We eat outside on a little patio, so I didn’t even take the time to go in to my room. I wanted some delicious borscht and bread! And then my sister brought one of my shoes over to me, and explained with hand gestures that a dog took the other. All I could answer was “Kogda?” (when?) It’s hard to find good shoes here! My dress shoes are already partially broken, the terrain is tough and I walk a lot! I was sad, and went to my room. Then my little cousin bought me a large candy bar and brought it to me. Kazakhstanis are incredibly thoughtful.
Well, I came home from a very good day tonight, only to see that my shoe was back! I have learned my lesson, though, and I think I might keep my shoes inside.
Maybe I will start feeding the dogs my extra lunch to get some of them on my side.
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think you forgot how much Drug loves you though. At least one dog here is your friend.
Post a Comment