Saturday, September 27, 2008

Word Mix up

My favorite hobby when I am abroad is to go for walks. This is especially true in Kaz, where I haven’t yet decided if I feel comfortable running. I go for walks all the time. I meet a friend in the morning to walk around, I walk to class, I walk around my neighborhood. I say the phrase, “Ya goolyou okolla dome” all the time (I will go for a walk near home).

Today I learned the double meaning for the phrase…. Apparently I have been telling my family that I am having multiple passionate sexual affairs not far from home. And I am saying this many times every day. Interestingly, my sister gave me a gift yesterday—undies. Not only that, but rather lingerie. I won’t turn it down, since it increases the number of days I can avoid laundry, but I wonder what message I am sending to my dear dear family! I am sure they understand (I by NO means give the impression that I am good at speaking Russian), but still.
I can’t wait until I speak Russian.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Hey Jessie! I love your blog! Keep it up! I am learning so much about KAZ. We miss you lots here at home but are so glad you are happy and feeling life is good! Better learn a new of saying that you are going on a walk though - your poor KAZ momma must have been shocked.

XXOO Mom