Today was a full day, and I will try to remember it the next time I feel frustrated by a lack of "official" work. I woke up early and walked to the natural spring about 30 minutes from my apartment. I caught the sunrise across the steppe. I returned to my apartment before anyone else was awake, and realized the water was out. My water from the well was needed! I sipped tea while doing sudoku as the apartment slept.
I then went to the church near my apartment! It was the first service I have been to in Kazakhstan. I had this overwhelming feeling that I was exactly where I was "supposed" to be. I must have looked lost, because a nice girl accompanied me during the service and occasionally translated. I have realized that every stranger that offers their friendship to me here is proof that God is looking out for me here. I belong here. I am not alone, even when I am so far from home. I rely on strangers constantly, and many of the people here are kind. I have never been as grateful for friendship as I am here. I say to strangers that I would like to be their friends--pride doesn't stand in my way.
I then went to the library for women's club. I was the only American this week! It was a small group, but that allowed the conversation to be very personal. Many of the women shared very personal stories about their childhoods and their marriages. I was amazed at the openness today. We stood in the hallway continuing our conversation for half an hour.
I finally got to meet Masha's family! I gosted there after club. Her mom is so sweet! Everyday she packs enough lunch for Masha to share with me. Today she made borscht, potatoes pickles, tomatoes and cake! She made me eat two huge pieces of cake because "my neck is thin" (which was first translated as "my neck is strong") The most unique part of lunch: pickle juice was served as a beverage! I had a flashback to the years my best friend and I drank pickle juice. I guess it's not weird here!
Now I have the apartment to myself, as I do once a week. It's nice. I am reading, and going to take a bath. I do like life here.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment