Once again, things are looking good here. Life is busy, and I rarely have time alone these days. The city is looking beautiful. They carve the most detailed snowmen here. And snow aliens, penguins, turtles, castles, slides, Yolkas... they are so talented! They even paint the snow. There is a large cow sculpture in the park--it is the year of the cow soon. Like I said, the snow is more beautiful here. And there's plenty...
In the evening I went to a CAROLLING party at other Americans' apartment nearbye. I found out there are a lot of Americans living in my little neighborhood even. I know of 4 apartments within my district; 2 are full of girls my age who are English teachers. So, we sang carols and ate peanut butter cookies. On Christmas I went to the other volunteer's apartment and we made waffles and watched Sex in the City. I came back and quickly went to the another Americans' apartment to have tea and go to church. It was great! I am still waiting for packages from home... Yelena and fam gave me a very nice card and chain necklace though. And "congratulated me" several times on Christmas.
I am hosting a lot of visitors for a late Christmas celebration in January! It makes me so happy to know that they are coming. I know it is also just because Karaganda is in the middle... but I love it. A lot of my good PST friends. I think there are about 10 total... and some are travelling so far!
Host mom's former student called the other night, and then called back and asked to just talk to me. I met her yesterday and she's amazing! She is going to cohost the knitting club with me, in her apartment! She just go married, and didn't change her last name!!! I think that is much more rare here. We went to a new English club, that I may or may not frequent. They want me to prepare a presentation about domestic violence to talk about next week. That's a good sign. The women's group wasn't eager to bring up the topic, and this group wants it for my second visit! Tomorrow I am going to an elementary school to see about starting two English clubs--science club and a "girls' club". I also met with the German teacher from the university yesterday for dinner and I might start something at her university in February. She is so nice, I just want to so that I can work with her! And I do want to get involved at the University level--I think it will be a great place to raise awareness about women's issues and get students involved.
No comments:
Post a Comment