I had my first cafe date today with Bota, my new friend. She's probably the sweetest girl in the world. We went to get Turkish food, because she studied in Turkey. She's amazing. She said she'll take me to the museum, and to get my hair cut, and to the club, etc. She's really interesting, and we talk about real things mixed in with celebrities and jewelry. And she's gorgeous. I don't feel cool enough to be friends with her. But we aren't in 8th grade and I'm American. She is so hospitable and kind.
I got to see the city at night and it was beautiful! There are Christmas trees (well, New Year's trees) everywhere. I was surprised at first to see so many decorations. Sometimes I don't feel like I am that far from Minnesota. The weather's the same, the decorations are here, I can buy whatever I would have at home (if I want to pay that much). It's a little difficult sometimes to remember why I am here. I saw a stretch hummer today while I was drinking a diet coke I felt slightly guilty about spending money on. I have to explain to people here that I need to take the bus and not a taxi. I think volunteers are poorer than our hosts. And right now I am not finding fulfilling work at my organization, because my director has been gone. I know there is room for improvement for women's rights, so I know I can do some positive work here. Eventually. And when I talked to my host mom's students today, they thanked me and said how interesting it was for them to talk to an American. I have to remind myself that is one of the three PC goals. It is important to me to represent America. And I am learning so much about Kazakhstani people.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment