Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Box of Broken Dreams

I don't know if I will be allowed to return to Kazakhstan. I want to with all of my heart. I am going to put every effort to show PC that I am a (mostly) happy and 100% healthy volunteer. I entirely believe that I should be returned to my life in Kazakhstan. I think that I can finish out my service there. I want to return because of the people. I have made close friendships that will break my heart to lose. I guess I wouldn't necessarily have to LOSE them, but the physical separation will be challenging.

We once had a Women's Group discussion on a "box of broken dreams". According to one member, this box is a place that we all put disappointments. When we put them in these boxes they become a part of us, but do not hold us back from having other dreams. I mentioned that to me, the dreams are like stained glass. They are fissures, but they are part of a work of art. Each fragment contributes to something beautiful.

I was wondering around Georgetown on Sunday and stumbled upon a flea market. I was looking at all the treasures without expecting to buy anything. Then I found a ring with a tiny box. The front of this box looks like a heart made from lines--like stained glass. It fit perfectly. If PC doesn't allow me to return to Kaz, I will put this broken dream in this tiny box, and I will wear it on my finger. Because it is a part of me that I can not and will not forget. It is a broken dream that will contribute to all of my dreams, which define me. Dreams, broken and attained, will define me--broken dreams will not destroy me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you get to go back. In my mind, being medsep'd is one of the most disappointing things that can happen. Good luck!

Kyle said...

Totally agreed. I'm rooting for you...good luck and give 'em hell!