I have reached the peak, and completed the one concrete goal I set for myself, living out in "you-gove-estock" and Gulder. That is my neighborhood, and despite the fact that I am assigned Karaganda, it takes me 30-40 minutes on a bus to get to the city center. The neighborhood is nice--well, as nice as a sea of apartment buildings can be. My area, Gulder, means "flower" in Kazakh and it is at the very edge of the city. Beyond one 10 story apartment building lies the steppe. When I got here, the outdoors-loving cheapskate in me asked if I could skip the bus and walk to the city center. The locals laughed at me. I vowed that I would do it--come summer. Well, I needed to feel like I had accomplished something, and I needed physical activity, and time to myself to think. SO... I did it today. I walked from the city center to my apartment in a little less than 2.5 hours. Not bad! Next step is to run there. I think maybe this weekend. Again, I am a goal oriented person, and I need to feel I am doing things. With the 30 Tenge that I saved on bus fare, I bought a "poverty cone"--ice cream that is as cheap as you can get. I bought the strawberry variety, which cost me an extra T.
I had my English club at the elementary school today. It was so good, and my prayers may be answered with the existence of that club. IT was mostly young girls, about 12 years old today. They asked such good questions! They were so interested in me working for women's rights. They asked how I thought women would achieve equality, whether women make good leaders, how I felt about the oppression of women because of religion, and a lot about the environment and how we can protect it. I really think that finally I could make a difference. I got the feeling that me just being here--as a strong, independent woman--volunteering for women's rights would maybe inspire them to know that women are wonderful leaders and deserve equality! One young boy came up to me and asked if I cared about men's rights too. I said of course. I am trying to emphasize Human Rights and Equality. This could be an interesting club! I can't believe they were only 6-8th grade...
I found another fruit-vendor friend. She has the only Hurma in town. I talked to her for about 10 minutes in Russian. She complimented my language, and made me refocused on learning. I am about to call a tutor to schedule a lesson. I love fruit vendors.
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
oh, hello Jessica! nice to meet u!
it was very interesting for me to read your blog. I was attracted by a headline "tulips are from KZ" ))))) I personnaly like white tulips more than any other flowers (including roses) it's a amazing that u're working as a volunteer, more over in Karaganda! city where almost all of my relatives are living. I am from Almaty, actually. by the way i want to ask where did u take photo I mean that one - under the russian matryoshka)))))? i ve never seen it in Karaganda, oh, don't forget to take photo near Lenin's monument because if i m not mistaking this is the only place in Kazakhstan(or maybe even in CIS )where it stil exists! GOOD LUCK!
aliyanourmanova
Post a Comment