Thursday, January 29, 2009

Loyalty

There comes a time in every Peace Corps volunteer's experience where one must face an important decision: do you live up to your own pop culture preferences, or do you lie to make your English club full of pre-teens love you? I faced that decision today. They asked who my favorite musician is, and I am proud that I was loyal to Ms. Dion. I said Celine, and they sang a little of My Heart Will Go ON, but also laughed a little. I am proud that I didn't cave, and maybe they will love me regardless. However, when they named Christina, Brittney, Justin, Pussycat dolls--I will admit shamefully, I said "me too!". I can't lose face.

I love them. They don't even have to try. Today was all girls, and all of them are the best in their class. We talked about women's rights, and went around the circle saying what our dreams are. One wants to be president, there were doctors, a judge, lawyers.... I am so happy! They are the future, and they believe STRONGLY in equality. And then they told me I look like Julia Roberts. Which isn't true, but made me love them even a little bit more.
-----

I made the most delicious soup today, all with ingredients that probably cost less than a dollar. You boil water, add some cabbage, add about half a cup of tomato juice, about a shot of any hot sauce you have in the fridge, and a cube of veggie seasoning (available for 10 Tenge--10 cents). You should try it, and think of me eating cabbage, carrots, beans, and apples everyday.

1 comment:

Liv said...

I love that soup! Mine might be a little varied, but it's definitely a combo of cabbage and carrots with some "Chillis" spice in it and it's absolutely delicious. It's awesome that even if we are far apart in totally different worlds, at least we're eating the same soup. :)