Thursday, January 8, 2009

Simple Pleasures

Yesterday I ate my weight in cabbage and peanut butter. Don't worry, my tastes have not been so transformed that I ate them together (although… come to think of it, that might be delicious). No, I had the apartment to myself, so naturally I gorged myself on food that I normally don't get to eat. I do get a lot of cabbage. But I am not usually "allowed" to eat it raw. It must first be soaked in oil until it loses all crispness and flavor. Being home alone, I ate it plain and it almost reminded me of my favorite spinach salad… Does the peanut butter need explanation? I got it in a package yesterday and it will be gone soon! You can't buy it here! I had toast with loads of peanut butter until I felt heavy and slightly ill. Why do they not sell it here!? I know my host mom loves it too, so I reluctantly left it on the table. With the way she snacks, it'll be gone shortly. That makes me a good person, right? Straight ticket to heaven?

The fact that cabbage and peanut butter make me so happy reminds me how strange my simple pleasures have become now. Another simple food I love here is to buy tomato juice and heat it up and pretend it is tomato soup. Other simple pleasures include good digestion. It's a good day if I poop without a Correctol (I have had some problems with the lack of fruits and veggies in my diet). Getting mail pretty much makes my week. If it's not too slippery to run, I am in seventh heaven. Hearing a Celine Dion song on the marshootka warrants at least one text message. The weather is warm and beautiful if my long underwear and my ankle-length down coat keep me warm enough at the bus stop. I spent less than 20$ on myself yesterday (as a birthday present from my parents), and I was THRILLED to buy something as frivolous as a little silver ring. Maybe it is good that I am becoming easy to please…. Peace Corps does encourage us to lower (adjust) our standards.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Good idea with the tomato soup! I'm gonna have to try that the next time my host family leaves!