I think they warned us about unwanted additional attention. Most of my experience in Kazakhstan has been a disappointment in that regard. Well, a safe disappointment. I haven't received ANY extra attention for being an American female abroad. Most of the time, that has contributed to me feeling very safe in my neighborhood. I feel safe when it is dark at 6:00 PM and I can still enjoy an occasional jog around town (hopefully more in the summer). However, with so much warning, part of me wondered why no one cares that I am here! Other times, I convinced myself that I fit in SO well here that people assume I am nothing special. A "plain Janna".
Well, today I think I was asked out by a pensioner. He's probably at least 65. He saw me walking in the cold and came to take my arm, and then escorted me to the door of my office. He said he would shovel my steps. I went into work and 30 minutes later the door bell rings. It is the same man, bearing chocolate for me. He then asked if I would like to go to a movie, or have tea, or walk around when the weather is nice, and kissed my cheek. I made sure to tell him that I never work in the office alone. We'll see. Maybe he's just a nice old man.
-----
Today the wind was so strong I think I actually left the ground when the gusts were big. It's not even very cold. I can comfortable walk outside, except that it's a combination of walk, jump, fly, scurry, walk... It is MUCH colder at home in MN than here, so I won't complain!
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jessie,
This is Liv's mom! I really enjoyed reading your blog this afternoon, going back as far as early December. It's a good thing you've had experience with super cold weather in Minnesota - it sounds like it must be minus 0 most of the time. Spring will be a welcome sight!
It's amazing how resilient and adaptive we human beings are to different climates, situations and cultures. Learning Russian along with a really different culture is an enviable challenge which you are meeting with aplomb. Congratulations! I wish you all the best as you continue to settle in to your new life in Kazakhstan....
Turi Hoversten
Post a Comment