Sunday, November 16, 2008

No Broken Bones yet.

No broken bones yet.
Today has been a good day. I have been sleeping so well at my new home—until 8, which is the latest I have slept in for at least the last 2 years. I got up today and went to yoga with my host mom. I think I might make it a regular thing! The teacher was so kind. She would occasionally come over and correct my position. It is challenging! I am flexible, but not as much as my 51 year old host! I think I did all right, but only because I am 22 and sit in weird ways most of the time anyway. My host mom can do a headstand! I really like yoga though. It’s about loving, taking care of, and listening to your body. I have spent the last 22 years hating my body. Actually when I was supposed to be in a meditative trance, I was thinking about how strange it is that I want to be a doctor. I still do, of course. But how has that been reflected in the last 22 years. I should love bodies. I believe in change and improvement, of course, and so I think my whole attitude needs adjusting. Wow—yoga is deep!
After yoga I went on a walk to explore my neighborhood, since the weather is only slightly below freezing. But because it is still below freezing, the whole world is covered in ice! During my 2 hour walk I fell down 4 times. No broken bones—but after yoga and falling I am sure I will be sore tomorrow. I stopped in a local magazine (store) for some fruit. I need a new fruit lady! Fruit vendors are always the nicest, maybe because I am so happy when I am around them. Anyway, this one was excited that I am American and she took my number for her 21 year old daughter. I know she just wants me for my English. BUT, she gave me a free apple and I could use some friends now anyway. I guess I am okay being used—everyone needs to know their price.
I was interviewed for TV last week at my organization. All I did was walk past the camera, sit down, and then say “like Kazakhstan, there is also violence in America”. For this, they fluffed up my hair and my director gave me a blinging jewelry set. Apparently a lot of people here watch the news (this was not the case in Issyk). I no longer have to say the name of my organization (which is good because I mess it up anyway). People recognize me from it!
My director hired a couple 22 yr old girls. I am suspicious that she hired them so that I have a friend. Again, I will not turn down any friendship right now. They are so much fun! Everyday I go to work with a lunch of bread, an apple, yogurt and carrots. They tease me that I am like a rabbit. Then they share their borsht. Like banyaing, true friendship here is sharing one’s borsht. They also promised to take me ice skating and to the bazaar to buy a fur hat.

No comments: