Happy Valentine's day in Kazakhstan. I was a little surprised that this holiday even exists in Kazakhstan, but to my dispair it is here. As is the case for most holidays, I will spend three days focused on celebrations. Yesterday I was a guest juror at the elementary school party. The students had a performance and we assigned awards. The acts included a French play, My Heart Will Go On played on the Dombre (classic national instrument), Truly Madly Deeply, a song from High School Musical, and a Tango. They also had games like eat the apple without using your hands (which I thought was a little risque). I gave a speech, and it was all good.
Today I was supposed to meet a friend for tea, but he, of course, cancelled. I was left to a Valentine's day alone, so I bought myself a diet coke and an orange and read my favorite book (East of Eden). Then I was too lonely and called Bota and we had tea. It was a decent day, though without a single Valentine.
Tomorrow I have been invited to be the token American at a Valentine's Day party. I am not sure what it will be like, but the host just called me and asked me to prepare to say something about the history of the day. THEN told me that there could be up to 50 people there. Hmmm... interesting. I do enjoy being the token American, so it won't be too bad.
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
mmm...Diet Coke! My local store is still OUT of Diet Coke, I definitely NEED to stock up the next time I come to Kgan! Have a good time being the "tolken" American!
Post a Comment