Monday, February 9, 2009

Not so bad

Life is looking up, and I can't believe I was so close to deciding to go home. I hadn't DECIDED to, but the option was looking so very tempting. I don't think I could have taken much more of my life as it was in the middle of January... but the middle of February is looking A-Okay. I think it was all the cold and alone time.

I obviously feel happier now, because Christina came to visit this weekend! It was so good to see her and to remember that one HUGE bonus with the Peace Corps is the amazing people (local and American) that it has led me to meet. Christina came on Saturday, and I went to get a bus at 6 AM. Of course, I waited at the bus stop for an hour, and was not the happiest camper. I didn't get to see her train come in! I finally got there, and we came back here and ate a slow breakfast with a lot of tea. Then Bota came to visit and we all walked around in the semi-warm weather for several hours. Xena and I spent the rest of the weekend just visiting, sharing funny stories, and commiserating over similar Peace Corps frustrations. It is helpful to know I am not alone... makes me wish I wasn't the only new volunteer in Kgan.

Sunday we had the best women's club meeting! We talked about "love". It was a heated discussion, and ended up being more about arranged marriages and "bride napping". Bride napping used to occur in Kazakhstan (although rumor in the group is that it still does happen!). Some of the women again were a lot less "feministic" as I thought! They were saying how it doesn't matter if the woman has no choice--the marriage is stronger. I was shocked! But some of my "favorite" women (Akmaral, Sukrah) spoke up and disagreed. It was great to hear all the opinions so openly shared.

I saw Xena off at the train, and, of course, I had trouble getting a bus home. I waited half an hour before I asked a woman if the bus I needed was still running. She took me under her wing, and we ended up taking some random bus somewhere else and then switching buses. I love when strangers are nice. I love asking for help (in Russian), and feeling the hospitality.

I met another friend today by asking directions. I was looking for a cafe, and asked a young man if he knew it. He started speaking English, and then offered to walk me there. We exchanged numbers and I hope we will get tea soon. After I met a friend at that cafe, I was walking to tutoring and a lady asked me for directions to a place I know well! I love that best.

And, on the fruit-vendor-front, I made another fruit friend. This is the young woman that works at the supermarket. She's coming to Women's club on Sunday.

So... work is picking up, I have my club 2-3 times a week, and I also feel like these personal relationships are important. I will stick it out.

No comments: