Saturday, February 28, 2009

Grapefruit needed

I don't know why I get crazy "let's try it" feelings sometimes in Kazakhstan. Maybe it's the fact that nothing is TOO weird here, and I see Americans all the time. So I got the crazy idea to get a haircut. The spring is coming and I wanted something new. Let's hope spring here is prettier than THIS. Let's just say, the 3 dollars was too much to spend. I look aweful! At least hair grows. I will up the price of the haircut by splurging on a grapefruit (does tha tmake hair grow faster?) and by buying air pins. Did I mention BANGS.... not good. I will learn who my real friends are.

In other news, I am so much happier with my life here! I missed my host mom a lot while she was in India. This week we watched a Russian movie together (her favorite--about the Wild West. There were Russian people playing Native Americans in a very NON PC way.), went to a piano concert, and ate salad together. It is nice to have her here, even if it is less time on the internet. I had too much time alone. She is so sweet. I am constantly amazed by hospitality here. Not only does she want to buy me my favorite foods, but she is so thoughtful and always figures out what they even are! I don't eat a lot. And she thought it was because I didn't like the food. After I told her what I ate at Bota's one day, she bought all the ingredients and we ate it last night. good thing its a salad with all my favorite things! Beets, pickles, cabbage, canned peas. It's Vinegret, and it is my favorite Kazakhstani dish.

My coworker and I don't get a long. I don't know why, but it is true. I got to work yesterday and put my music on, because we listen to hers EVERYDAY, and it is the same 10 pop songs. So, I was first, and thought we could use a change. The songs she likes on the radio are in nglish anyway. Instead of saying anything to me, she put hers on full blast. I am equally stubborn, so we sat there for 2 hours with both blaring in a very small room. OI. Two more years with her?!

3 comments:

Christina said...

You're SO stinkin' cute that I'm sure you pull whatever "horrible" cut off beautifully! Hope the grapefruit helped! And I think I have a case of "I want to try something new" my one local friend here has me ALMOST talked into REALLY dying my hair!

Ruslan said...

hey,
your co-worker is amazing :)
seriously,
I would be proud to have such enemy, it can bring a lot of fun for me :)

tin_roof_rusted said...

as best hair, i'm really sorry to hear about the horrible haircut, I'm sure it's not that bad, but it's sad for me nonetheless. How terrible to not have beautiful hair!