Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Turns out I will be doing work...

Are most people excited to be offered more work from their directors? i don't know if it is universal, but there is no better day to many PCVs than when their directors decide to clue them in on project ideas. Today my regional manager met with my director and I finally got to hear of her project ideas. My RM explained that she cannot wait for me to be fluent in Russian to give me work, and that i needed a project NOW. SO... it turns out we are working on a seminar for women's empowerment and I am now assigned to prepare information on nutrition. I am very eager to do this--My main interest was in women's health and I think I will learn a lot too. SO... I have high hopes! In addition, we are going to have a "kid's club" thing start soon, and we are supposed to make some sort of puppets. The kids will make puppets, and the office girl (masha) and I will present issues to the kids using puppets. Somehow, we will make the puppets raise awareness about domestic violence, equality, nutrition, harassment, etc. This is my director's vision, and I think it could be cool! I am excited by the idea of crocheting the puppets... or maybe papier mache? It's been a while, but I remember that was fun, easy, and cheap. So I now have these two projects, and I am working on the Women's Empowerment Weekend with the other volunteers, and I am going to the elementary school 2 times a week, and tutoring in Russian 2 times a week. And I have already offered myself to at least 3 camps this summer. FINALLY. Life seems like it is going to be full and rewarding!

I was pumped about the prospect of meaningful work, so I stopped by the local cafe and made a new friend! She was the waitress on my two cafe dates, and she speaks English. I stopped in to invite her to women's club and we talked for almost an hour. I also stopped by fruit vendor girl #3 (at the super market) to invite her to club. I know these two women live near me, so it would be great to have their friendships! PLUS. There isn't anything I love more than fruit and coffee (and friends and wellness).

I am full of mood swings. Bear with me.

No comments: