Yesterday's discussion at round table was about cheating (in relationships and in school). We focused on cheating in class, and I was the ONLY person in the room that could say they have never cheated. The other people were PROUD of their cheating techniques, and said it was necessary, fair, and expected. I am in shock. This may be my first real culture shock experience. I guess I am naive, but I didn't even think that my non-cheating was something to be proud of before now. I just thought it was normal. I thought MOST people in the world regarded cheating as wrong. Cheating was never even in my scope of a possible solution to anything. I don't know anyone (or maybe I am not friends with anyone) in the States that would admit proudly to cheating. I am shocked. How will their educational system improve here? These are the best students in their classes--they come to English Round Table at the library in their free time. And every single one of them cheats. How would I ever trust a doctor in this country? How would I ever trust ANY professional in this country? If you cheat to get your degree, then you don't learn information you should know. Where is the moral system? Why doesn't cheating mean the same as stealing here, as it does to me. Where is the sense of justice and fairness?
CULTURE SHOCK. I just don't even know what else to say. At Olaf you sign a pledge and say you haven't cheated. I can't even imagine cheating and then signing that pledge. Where are the morals?????????
-------------
On another note, an earring vendor that I bought a gift for New Year's from in December gave me a Valentine heart that says "I love you" yesterday. She remembered my name! I will go back with chocolates soon That is an example of the Kazakhstani-people that I love. It's always the vendors, like the hankerchief woman who gave me a free hankie. She was just so glad to have met me, and is so sweet and caring. It's definitely the best Valentine I got.
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hey, corinne actually had a similar experience about cheating today and she wrote about it...
hubersfarfromhome.blogspot.com
her kids are pretty young though, so the conversation's probably a bit different...
-nick huber
You met most laziest students (and most stupid also, probably ;)).
What the point of cheating in class if it will affect on your professional knowledge?
And big problem in fact that most of all cheating students will be graduated (or have already graduated).
Post a Comment